South America

Monday, February 12, 2007

I think that its about time that I change the pre flight to South America write up. As I re-read my thoughts predictions and desires that I quickly typed a few hours before boarding my plane. My first though is holy shit, that was a really long time ago. My second thought is my ambitions and aspirrations were grand, my expectations were very high. Well four months later, I can honestly say that all expectations have been well sufficed and far exceded. The adventure has been a thrill. The mountains are my dream come true. The entirety of my four months has been exclussively within the towering walls and soaring high plains of the Andes Mountain Range, the longest and second tallest on the entire planet.

My number one goal has been realized on December 7th when me and my travelling companion reached the top of the continent, 6962m teh peak of Aconcagua. That was the most that I have ever suffered in my entire life as we finished the last 100 vertical meters. Later after safely descending it was the greatest feeling ( or atleast equal to my other greatest feelings) of accomplishment and satisfaction that I have ever known. Every part of the Andes mountains seems to me very unique. I simply canĀ“t imagine getting bored here.

As true as this is however I do feel a slight urge to see some of the other wonderful aspects of South America, afterall there is plenty of coast of which in four months Ive only got a glimpse of the Pacific Ocean from the peak of Aconcagua. And then there is the Amazon which everyone coming to the continent is destined to visit. Still I feel humbly content when IM amongst these peaks and so far my plan is to travel northward towards Columbia virtually not leaving the mountains at all. I want to climb more mountains. After all as my record stands, Ive climbed heaps of hills and small mountains but really only made it to the top of one big one, ironically the biggest. On our first clime of Jakouma 6427m in Bolivia we failed to pass 6000m largely to blame was the weather but also it was a difficult route and we were not sufficiently acclimatized. After Aconcagua Volcan Lanin in Northern Patagonia shut us down directly due to the weather with winds up to 125 KM/hr. Three days ago I made an ambitious solo attempt on Incahuasi 6650m in the Puna de Atacama, northwest Argentina but was shut down as strong winds blew debree in to my right eye incapacitating me to continue. Tomorow I return to that area to climb some smaller mounatins that have perhaps never seen a man on the summit and then if all is well another attempt on Incahuasi.

I do feel that I should leave the mountains. Find a hammock on the beach and rent a surfboard, get a nice even tan rather than a hilarious ankle and t-shirt burn. But I sort of doubt I will after all If Im happy then there is no problem and I should continue as I am. Besides you guys dont really want to read about the beach do you, adventure and excitement is found where you search for it but in the mountains it will always find you.

Happy Canadian Mountaneer in South America
Ira Sutherland

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home